Cookies / Accessibility / Cymraeg / Popular pages / Quick Links / FAQs / Documents / 01267 246555
Gwasanaeth Gwybodaeth i Deuluoedd Sir Gaerfyrddin : Family Information Service Carmarthenshire

Positive Parenting online resource

  Partner Links:

twitter Facebook

: Home : Professionals : Starting a Childcare Business

Starting a Childcare Business

HM Revenue and Customs Starting in business e-learning package

The package advises on the tax and National Insurance issues involved in starting a business. The package covers subjects including:
  • Starting in Business
  • Registering your self employment
  • What records should I keep?
  • What can I claim against my Income?
  • VAT registration
  • Becoming an Employer

Working in Childcare

Are you thinking of a career in childcare or running your own childcare setting? There are a number of opportunities available to you. All of which are shown in greater detail in our guide to Setting up your own Childcare Business.

For more information contact the Carmarthenshire Family Information Service (FIS) Telephone: 01267 246555 who can point you in the right direction and advise you of what provision already exists in the area. For an overview of existing provision you can also view our Childcare Sufficiency Assessment which shows areas where childcare need exists.

The demand for staff in childcare has increased in recent years, and is set to increase further as a result of Welsh Assembly Government policies to provide more childcare and education places for young children.

All kinds of people work in Early Years, Childcare and Play work. Children need a variety of positive role models and good influences. School leavers and students, adults of all ages, disabled people, people from ethnic minorities, men and women – with or without previous experience – all play an important part. What they have in common is their patience, enthusiasm and dedication and an understanding that theirs is a job to be taken seriously. Rewarding careers helping children to play, learn and grow.

What are the options?
  • Registered Childminders work in their own homes, providing care and learning opportunities for children. The FIS can send you a Childminding Information Pack, along with details of the support you will receive. This will include details of the 'Introduction to Childcare Practice' (ICP) course, the Briefing Sessions by CSSIW which give you information about the registration process and the Start Up Pack. This will include membership of the PACEY (Professional Association of Childcare and Early Years) public liability insurance, as well as help towards training and equipment for you to get started.
  • Day Nurseries are open weekdays all year round, so there are lots of opportunities for you to work part-time or term-time to fit in around your other commitments. With more experience, you can move into a supervisory or management role. There is a wide choice of training and qualifications available to you.
  • Ever thought of opening your own nursery? Chwarae Teg can advise you on funding and training. They can help you develop an action plan and provide guidance on work-life balance, help with care costs and provide one-to-one discussions and free courses. Help and guidance can also be obtained from NDNA (National Day Nurseries Association), and Menter a Busnes in addition to the Carmarthenshire Business Centre - Tel: 0845 7969798 or visit
  • Working in, or setting up a playgroup or Parent and Toddler Group? WPPA (Wales Pre-school Playgroups Association) and MYM (Mydiad Ysgolion Meithrin) offer a range of courses, information and advice to anyone thinking of working or setting up a Playgroup or Parent and Toddler Group.
  • Working in, or setting up an Out-of-School-Club? These clubs provide fun in a safe, happy environment term-time and during the holidays. Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids Clubs helps to set up, develop and support out of school childcare clubs.
  • Working as a Nanny? The Childcare Home Approval Scheme is a voluntary scheme for carers who are not required to be registered by CSSIW to allow individuals to work in the parents home caring for their child. Its aims are to raise the standard of home based care and allow greater numbers of parents to access financial support. In order to be approved under this scheme the carer has to meet the following criteria at the point of application or renewal.
  • Must be aged 18 years or over.
  • Must have an existing qualification on the National Framework of Accredited Qualifications for Early Years, Childcare and Playwork at level 2 or higher.
  • Hold a first aid certificate which is less than three years old, suitable for the care of babies and young children and which covers dealing with emergencies, resuscitation, shock, choking and anaphylactic shock.
  • Be able to demonstrate that there is nothing in their past which would suggest that they are unsuitable to care for children usually via a DBS check (which replaced the CRB check).
How do I find out more?
The helpline 0844 736 0260 (calls are charged at the local rate or higher from a mobile or public phone) and website

There are a number of agencies available throughout Carmarthenshire to support and develop new business enterprises, including those wishing to provide childcare. They include:–

Flexible Support for Business 01267 242385
Chwarae Teg Freephone 0800 052 2255

Development Workers are also employed by a range of organisations to advise new and potential childcare providers on what factors they need to consider to get the off to a sound start. In addition, they offer ongoing support, help and advice to existing providers, assist groups to develop their provision, offer support to promote good practices and help with any CSSIW issues. They are:
  • Carmarthenshire Children’s Partnership – Tel 01267 246552
  • Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids' Clubs - Tel: 01792 462502
  • Day Nurseries - Tel: 01824 707823
  • Mudiad Ysgolion Meithrin - Tel: 01267 222622
  • Wales Pre-school Playgroups Association - Tel: 01267 233822
Sources of Funding: Job Opportunities in Carmarthenshire
For further Information on vacancies within the County of Carmarthenshire, please visit your local job centre or: or

Training for Childcare Providers Training for Childcare Providers Child Protection Child Protection Childcare Regulations Childcare Regulations
Starting a Childcare Business Starting a Childcare Business Become a registered childminder Become a registered childminder National Day Nurseries Association National Day Nurseries Association(opens in new window)

If there is anything incorrect, out of date or you think could be included please email us:

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided, Carmarthenshire Family Information Service cannot accept responsibility or liability for any errors which may have occurred. It is recommended that you always check details with providers to ensure their service meets your requirements.

Carmarthenshire Family Information Service cannot recommend or endorse any of the providers listed.

For information on cookies and how we use them, please click here

Cookies | Accessibility | Cymraeg | Popular pages | Quick Links | Resources | Home | About Us | Child Development | Education & Training | Play, Sport & Leisure | Health & Well-being | Financial & Legal | Staying Safe | Welsh language | Childcare Search | Funding for 3 year olds | Childcare Sufficiency Assessment | Contact Us | Professionals | Youth Services | Family Support Services | Special Needs | What's On | Frequently Asked Questions

Site Meter